According to George Varney’s, Gazetteer of the State of Maine, Easton is on the eastern line of Aroostook County. It is bounded on the north by Fort Fairfield, west by Presque Isle, south by Mars Hill, and east by New Brunswick. The area is 36 square miles. The River De Chute drains the eastern and south-eastern part, and the Presque Isle Stream the western part. On these streams are several water-powers, which are at present occupied by two saw-mills and a grist-mill. The surface of the town is elevated, but is without lofty hills. The soil is strong and yields well of the usual farm crops. Potatoes, which are largely raised, find a ready market at the starch factories.
Easton is 37 miles north of Houlton, on the stage route to Fort Fairfield. There is a railroad station at Fort Fairfield, the adjoining town on the north. The town was incorporated in 1864. Previously the settlement was called Fremont Plantation. In the town is a Baptist church and two Christian churches. The town has eight public schoolhouses. The total school property is valued at $2,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $69,789. The population in 1870 was 522. The population in 1880 was 835.
1870 Agricultural Easton Census
1880 Agricultural Easton Census
These records have been transcribed and names have been spelled as well as they could be deciphered. If you see any mistakes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.