The Juan Murphy’s Bulldogs, a local hockey team, is more than just a group of players: it’s a community. “Hockey is a family to me. The team, even other teams and players I’ve met over the years. It’s a huge group of so many new people who I would’ve never known. And a bunch that are now friends,” Steven Rokitowski said.

The Juan Murphy’s Bulldogs celebrate after winning the championship in 2021.

Nick Medwid also enjoys the camaraderie that comes with being on a team. “Brotherhood aspect of the game. Playing with a team, going into battle with each other and for each other,” he said.

Steve Hertzog has been playing adult league hockey for about 20 years and played for many teams. He has played this long because of the community. Their team name shows that sense of community. “I like our name. For some reason I am glad I am on a team named after a neighborhood bar,” Hertzog said. James Fitzmaurice agrees. He believes that the sponsor is extremely important for local teams. “The bar that we’re named for is an awesome place that is owned and operated by really good people,” Fitzmaurice said. The bar is a local spot where the entire team is always welcome. Not only is there good food, there’s good company. 

Mike Mills plays for fun. But he also plays to relieve stress. “Exercise is a great way to relieve stress and negative energy. Hockey allows that while having fun and being able to get out a little frustration and turning your brain off. While on the ice, you can’t think about anything else but what’s happening on the ice.” Even though it is a good way to relieve that energy, winning a couple of championships definitely makes it better. Mills has won five times. Even though that isn’t why they play, it’s nice to feel rewarded for their hard work. 

Frank Collura, who has a lifetime of experience playing hockey, feels the game is an escape. “I feel the sport melts stress away. For the one hour I’m out there with the team. It’s like life itself is on hold. I feel more alive, especially now in this world of COVID.” He doesn’t just play for that, though. It’s his love of the game. “I know hockey is mostly considered a winter sport. But in beer/men’s league, it’s an all-year event. I want to make it to every game/open ice and/or practice I can skate on. It’s a passion for the smell of the ice, the feel of a freshly Zambonied ice surface and the sound of a ripping slap shot that drive my passion week after week,” Collura said.

Tyler Katz has been playing hockey for about 17 years now. His most memorable years were on his high school team, the Big Dogs. Playing has always been a helpful break for him. He refers to it as “an intensive source of therapy.” Katz faces struggles in his life outside the game but, “ Hockey is such a release for me that I wish I could play it every day and I can’t stop thinking about it.”