Students have a lot on their plates with going to class, homework and playing sports. The last thing on their minds should be getting a job.  But sometimes students have to work to provide for themselves. To be honest, college is expensive and that is not just talking about tuition. Students have to think about food, clothes and necessities.  But that can take a toll on college students, because even if they want or like their jobs, they are thinking about other things. Having an outside job can be difficult, but it can also be rewarding. “It teaches them time/money management and it teaches responsibility,” freshman student Kassandra Bouley said.

Students usually work at restaurants or shopping centers because usually the management is flexible with students’ schedules. This helps students learn time management, a great asset in pretty much everything students do.
    Working a job may have some bad experiences though. “I do not like my job because the boss schedules me during class, delivery (even when my vehicle is in the shop). And when she is there I feel hatred and it’s not a good working environment. I have gotten second degree burns, and I feel bad because everybody is fun to work with except her,” Bouley said.

Working outside jobs is hard and it can also affect a students’ schoolwork, but it does make students procrastinate less. Melanie Griffin, a freshman here at UMPI, said, “Because I only work on the weekends, my shifts are usually longer, leaving me little time for homework. Because of this, most of my homework needs to be completed before the weekend so I am getting that done a lot earlier. I can no longer push a project aside and tell myself I will get around to it on the weekend. This does leave me feeling rushed during the week, especially after Wednesday when I really feel the crunch. But at least I forced myself to stop procrastinating.”

College Board states, “For some students, especially those in traditionally underserved populations, taking a job is not a matter of choice, but necessity. They need to work to save for college or even to supplement family income.”
    Sometimes students do not have a choice in the matter because it is a need. It might be to take care of their brothers and sisters or maybe even help their parents.

College Board also states, “Studies show that students who work are more confident and possess better time-management skills than students who are not employed. In addition to offering a paycheck, some independence and satisfaction, a part-time job can provide both training and experience.”

Students have to weigh their options and ask themselves a simple but hard question: Is my work or college work more important? College Board states that, “…experts agree that students who work more than 15 to 20 hours per week often experience decreased school success, which can lead to dropping out entirely. Working long hours can also limit opportunities to build friendships and explore interests that enhance intellectual and emotional development.”

Even with the benefits and challenges, students who go to college and go to work are truly hardworking students and they come to school every day, even when they had a night shift. They get experiences that might not come to others.

Melanie said it best when talking about her job. “Because I live in a small town I cannot go a single shift without seeing someone I know.  It feels as if my social life has expanded since I started working at Hannaford’s. My co-workers are also all awesome and there isn’t one person I don’t like.”