Katherine Waldron, Jesse Dixon, Austin Daniels, Danette Madore, Matt Theriault, Sarah Holbrook, Megan McKnight and Morgan Swan.

Do you need a place to practice those skills you’re learning in your classrooms? How about a work experience placement? Or a job for next summer? Check out the TRIO College Access Services office right here on campus!

This past summer we had six current UMPI students or recent graduates working in live-in positions as our residence director and counselor/tutors, who perform duties like those of both a resident assistant and a teaching assistant. They not only earned a salary plus their room and board for seven weeks, they gained valuable knowhow: another word for proficiencies! As Morgan Swan, a recent UMPI grad and our resident director for the summer, said, “This summer was an opportunity of growth. I was able to strengthen my relationships with both students and staff. I found myself spending more time listening…instead of telling my stories/opinions.”

Matthew Theriault, a senior at UMPI and an Upward Bound alumnus, was the English C/T for the summer. He explained, “I gained a lot of leadership skills that will definitely come in handy as I resume my position as an RA for UMPI. … I learned skills that help me go with the flow more, because sometimes things change at Upward Bound and we have to just roll with it and adapt. Working this summer has definitely taught me to adapt to changing situations better.” In addition, Matt reflected on his experience as a returning alumnus. “It was very different seeing the program from a staff perspective, but it gave me new appreciation for how much effort goes into making the summer work. It was an amazing opportunity and I cannot wait to come back next summer!”

The possibilities are almost endless for gaining hands-on, real world experience in a professional setting through TRIO! The department encompasses two different federally funded college access programs through three federal grants: two Upward Bound programs and an Educational Talent Search program. The goal of all TRIO programs is to help students gain the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to be successful in earning a college degree. Eligible students in grades 6-12 benefit from ETS services and UB serves students in grades 9-12.

To qualify, students must meet one or more guidelines. They must potentially be the first in their families to earn a college degree. In other words, neither parent has yet earned a four-year (bachelor level) degree. Or the family must meet federal income guidelines, which are based on family size and taxable income. Or students must have a particular academic need or other barrier.

Services provided fall into both the academic year and the summer. Some of the opportunities to help, and gain relevant professional skills at the same time, come in the form of tutoring, mentoring, workshop presentations on issues that concern teens.  Other opportunities focus on academic subjects such as organization, time management or writing better essays and on office tasks such as website updating, creating workshop packets and filing. Some are regular positions that earn a paycheck, such as the counselor/tutor jobs in the summer, tutors in the academic year and work experience. Others might be counted as an internship.

On another note, we are pleased to announce that due to the tremendous support from our alumni, parents and our congressional delegation, U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos reversed her decision not to read our Upward Bound grant applications due to a minor formatting error on two of 65 pages. As of mid-August, we are still uncertain about funding, but have renewed hope due to all of the letters (over 2,000 at last count in one weekend) and phone calls, not to mention a speech on the floor of the Senate by Senator King and a visit to the White House by Senator Collins. We have hope that funding will come through!

So welcome back!  And if you need a spot to apply and hone your abilities, consider TRIO College Access Services a ready-made learning lab! Stop by our offices in suite 16, Preble Hall, and we’ll see what we can do.