Kelli Sturgeon, Surrounded by Her Family, Upon Her Graduation From NMCC

The past 10 years have seen a growing trend in nontraditional students enrolling in colleges and universities.  Statistics show a dismal retention rate for nontraditional students, however.  Who are these students?

Heidi Wright and Kelli Sturgeon are two of the many nontraditional students attending UMPI this year.  Both woman are over the age of 30.  Heidi said, “I came back to college after the retail store I worked in closed.  I had been out of school for 11 years.”  Kelli had been out of school for 21 years before enrolling in college.  “When I enrolled, I was working the night shift at TAMC and had two kids active in high school.  It wasn’t easy juggling it all, but I have managed.”

Three-quarters of U.S. college students are nontraditional, according to the U.S. Department of Education.  Most of these students are older and have been out of school for several years.  They are juggling families, jobs and school.  

Many of these students attend college part time.  Time and money often take a toll adding to the dropout rates.  Some pursue their degrees through online school for convenience as well as lower costs.  Online colleges have a higher graduation rate than traditional colleges.  There are also students who combine online classes with campus classes.  

When asked what obstacles they faced, besides becoming students again, both women spoke of trouble relating to classmates who were so much younger.  They also shared how too many classes in one semester could be overwhelming and that it was important to know your own pace.  

Heidi is pursuing a degree in criminal justice with a minor in psychology.  Kelli said, “I actually enrolled in the nursing program, but decided to change my direction after my second semester.”  She is now working toward a degree in English.  Heidi and Kelli have both transferred from NMCC after earning their associate degrees.

Both women said that they have no regrets about returning to school after so long.  As Kelli said, “Earning a college degree so late in life is not easy.  It takes far more dedication to go back and succeed, but that’s what makes it worth it.”  Heidi believes, “It really was the best choice for me.”

Many colleges have worked to improve the experience for nontraditional students.  With the growing number of older applicants, it is important to improve the retention rate for this population.  Colleges and universities rely on the millions of dollars that come from enrollment of nontraditional students.

Some colleges have offered activities geared toward those who may not feel they are a part of the younger student body.  A 40-something single mom may not feel comfortable at a campus activity geared mostly toward the younger student, but might enjoy attending an over 30s fun night.

Heidi and Kelli are excited to continue their education at UMPI.  Their advice to other nontraditional students?  Take advantage of tutoring resources.  Don’t be embarrassed to ask questions.  Try to be involved in some campus activity. Most of all, know your pace and don’t take on more than you can handle.  Kelli said, “It may take longer to get there, but the reward is well worth it.”