10. Bad Santa (2003)

Not the Christmas movie to watch with your parents. Despite being one of the few Rated-R Christmas movies, “Bad Santa” is one of those films I watch every holiday season. With hilarious performances from Billy Bob Thornton and the late, great Bernie Mac, this movie depicts Santa in his raunchiest form ever. One of those Christmas movies that is perfect for holiday lovers and detractors alike.

9. The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

Who doesn’t love the Muppets? That was a trick question: EVERYBODY loves the Muppets. Add some Christmas cheer and you have a recipe for some good ‘ol holiday nostalgia, Jim Henson-style. Over the years, this unique take on Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” still stands the test of time.

8. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

I know this is technically a made-for-TV movie, but hey, this is my list so I’ll do what I want. Like “A Charlie Brown Christmas” (which didn’t make the cut), Rudolph is almost a required watch during the holidays. The magic that this film instills is apparent in the fact that viewers love the ancient stop-motion animation more than any current CGI-packed action film. If Rudolph’s story of outcast to Santa’s favorite reindeer doesn’t hit you right in the feels, you might be the Grinch.

7. The Polar Express (2004)

I had to include this film on the list because I vividly remember going to see this film at the IMAX theatre for a school trip. Most films cannot live up to the magic created by its literary predecessor, but this film is one of the few exceptions. Not only is it one of the most impressive animated children’s films, it also begs the question: “Is Santa real?” Spoiler alert: He’s not, but Tom Hanks does an amazing job to make you think otherwise.

6. Home Alone (1990)

What better way to show the holiday spirit than a film about a boy who is abandoned by his family for the holidays? Wait…maybe there might be better ways. Regardless, “Home Alone” is one of the greatest Christmas films of all time. Since its release, the film has instilled in many children that the only thing more important than family during the holidays is the opportunity to invent methods of torture for criminals who don’t really deserve it (I feel for you, Joe Pesci).

5. The Santa Clause (1994)

Say what you will about Tim Allen and his lackluster movie catalog, but the man deserves a life-long pass for “Home Improvement” and this Christmas gem. Packed with plenty of holiday spirit, the film is peppered with real-life situations that many people can relate to, like divorce and how it affects children. I watch this film every holiday season. No matter how many times I watch this film, I still resent my father for not being Santa Claus.

4. Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

The Grinch is probably one of my favorite Jim Carrey films. Don’t get me wrong, I love the animated version, but the hilarity that Carrey brings to the title role completely blows its predecessor out of the water. The Grinch begins the film as a villain, but the Christmas-lovers in all of us cannot help ourselves rooting for him the entire film. Plus, his anti-social behavior is all but too relatable for many of us.

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Can all Christmas movies from now on be made by Tim Burton? Seriously though, why is this film so great? Somehow, Burton takes us through a spooky world of terrifying characters and at the end, we love Christmas even more. Jack Skellington is still my favorite holiday protagonist. With a memorable soundtrack and unforgettable animation, you can enjoy this film whether you’re trick-or-treating

or annoying your neighbors with yuletide carols.

2. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

I know many millennials have probably never seen this movie. For those who have, the Christmas magic this film brings to its audience is unmatched. Almost unnoticed when it was first released, “It’s a Wonderful Life” has become a tradition for many families during the holiday seasons. Even after 70 years, it still feels ageless to this day. The heartwarming messages in the film are still received no matter if you’re decorating the Christmas tree, lighting the Menorah or observing the seven principles

of Kwanzaa. It just goes to show the genius of Frank Capra.

1. A Christmas Story (1983)

Here it is folks: the greatest Christmas film of all time. “A Christmas Story” is not only one of the most iconic holiday movies of all time, it’s one of the most referenced films in pop culture, period. The scenes where Flick gets his tongue stuck on the frozen flag pole and Ralphie beats up the school bully, Scut Farkus, are ingrained in our collective memory. No other Christmas movie captures the confusing period of adolescence and holiday feels better than this film.

Honorable Mentions: Elf (2003), Frosty the Snowman (1969), Die Hard (1988), Trading Places (1983).