How one person leaves behind a legacy.

This year, as part of the class of 2022, Miranda Cashmere Washinawatok will be graduating from UMPI and moving on to the next chapter of her life. Miranda is receiving a degree in Environmental Science and a certificate in GIS Technology.

Miranda Cashmere Washinawatok with her mom.

While at UMPI, volleyball was a large part of Miranda’s career. As a freshman and sophomore, she was chosen to be captain of the volleyball team. As a junior and senior, the offers were still available to her. Miranda, however, declined so that she could focus on school for her last two years. 

“I definitely think in my last two year here, I’ve transitioned into teaching the younger players and teammates how to see the game from my perspective,” Miranda said. “I’m still looked up to as a leader, just in a different sense.” 

Miranda is incredibly passionate about the sport of volleyball. She uses that to help teach and encourage her younger teammates. She said, “Volleyball is a big deal in my life. I’ve tried to implement my teaching and my IQ through stories and talking with my teammates. I try to share my help as if I was in their shoes.” Miranda also mentioned that she encourages her teammates to step out of their comfort zone and try things that are not as normal as usual

Over time, Miranda has also learned a lot from the game that she has been teaching for so long. “You must learn how to play with new players and with new coaches. It’s a lot of learning throughout the four years,” Miranda said.