Solar power has become the wave of the future. Across the country, the energy-conscious are putting in solar panels and disconnecting from the power grid. The issue is that going green usually comes with a fairly hefty price tag. Now, there are a fair amount of federal rebates and tax refunds available to ease the hit. But for some who are a bit more tech savvy, there is another option. Do it yourself. With a little bit of time, a lot of research and some smart shopping, homeowners can put together a solar power kit to fit any of their power needs at a fraction of the cost. 

Solar array in the sun. Photo by: Rebekah Weaver-Ariza.

Larry Turner, a lifetime Maine resident, has been living on solar power full time for the past five years. He put his kit together entirely by himself, out of pieced together parts bought mostly online and shipped in. Larry said, “I haven’t used my generator since I turned my solar panels on. Don’t need it anymore. I’ve got all the power I need and I never run out.” 

You might be asking if it isn’t just easier to buy it already put together. It might be easier. But it definitely isn’t cheaper. And this is about inexpensive DIY solar. The internet has it all. There are articles, videos and websites for every level of DIY-er. For those who don’t care to use the internet, the local library is another great resource. Solar power is not a new resource. The technology has been around for quite some time. Books are available that detail, step by step, every single item necessary for a functional solar set-up. In addition, there are brick and mortar stores that sell everything from solar panels to wire.

The biggest question for some is why? What’s the point of solar when electricity is cheaper and easier? There are plenty of reasons, but the number one is peace of mind. Solar power kicks in if the main power goes down. Also, when homeowners aren’t using that extra power, it feeds back into the power grid and earns them a credit on their bill. It’s a nice way for solar to pay for itself in the long run. At least, if you happen to be connected to the power grid. 

Tyler Jacob checking his solar system before turning on the power for the first time. Photo by: Rebekah Weaver-Ariza.

According to Tyler Jacob, “The biggest reward for putting it in by myself is that I know everything about the system. I figured it out. And I built it with my own hands. Plus, I don’t have to worry about storms knocking out my power even when town power is out. And I never have to pay another power bill again. All of that together means a whole lot less money going out every month for bills. And when the economy is this rough, every penny counts.”