Do you have any tea drinkers in your life this holiday season? If you do, this DIY gift is just for you. Tea Trees, also called Christmas Tea Trees, are topiary pieces with arrangements of tea bags in place of tree limbs.
What You’ll Need:
- Styrofoam cones (6-inch cones work best, but any size will do)
- Your choice of individually wrapped tea bags (Remember: the bigger the cone, the more tea bags you’ll need to cover it!)
- Hot glue gun, with glue sticks
- Small, round cylinder boxes to use as the “stump”– you can also use a toilet paper roll for this part too, but be sure to use thicker cardboard to create a base to glue to the bottom of it.
- Wooden stars or other tree top trinkets for embellishment
- Rocks or rice to put in the “stump” to weigh down the tree
- Glue the tea bags, starting at the base of the cone. Place a very fine line of hot glue along the upper edge on the backside of a tea bag. Attach to the cone, holding the tea bag in place until the glue sets.
- Placing the next tea bag, slightly overlap it over the one that was just glued, covering the Styrofoam cone underneath. How much you overlap will depend on the size of the tree. The goal is to just cover the Styrofoam, so it does not show through. Finish the entire base section before moving up the tree. Repeat the gluing process until you reach the top.