What does four and 29 mean to you? To the baseball team at the University of Maine at Presque Isle, four and 29 means nothing either. On paper, it was the Owls’ win-loss record. Many people might see that and make assumptions about the team’s ability to compete. The Owls want people to look past it. Teams aren’t built or coached on paper. Competition brings effort, and effort brings pride. UMPI baseball Coach Roger Stinson wants people to see the pride and not the record. He takes pride in coaching. “I love the sport, but it’s more about working with kids.” Roger is now in his first full-time season with recruiting and trying to build a culture at UMPI that emphasizes competing, responsibility and taking pride in being a baseball player.

The competitive culture that Roger is trying to instill started last season. He faced a lot of adversity during his first season. “I joined five weeks into the preseason.  When I came on board, we had a week and a half to get ready for our first games.”  He told a story of a game from last season demonstrating the team’s pride and competitive spirit. “We went up to New York and played Baruch. When we got off the bus, I asked my captain, Matt Cauchon, ‘What’s the matter?’ Matt said, ‘They’re laughing. They think we’re a joke.’ We ended up giving them two great games and their coach was shocked,” Roger said.

Junior infielder Christian Mumley also talked about the Owls’ competitiveness last season under Roger. “Our record was four and 29 but that doesn’t show the talent and how much he is trying to change the program,” Christian said.

This season will be a major transition because the Owls are now in the Northern Atlantic Conference. It gives them more opportunities. “In the NAC conference, you are playing for the chance to win the conference and go to the D-III playoffs. I’ve said that our ultimate goal is to go to the playoffs and have a chance to go to the D-III world series,” Roger said.

Learning to recruit has become stressful for Roger, but he has done his best to understand it. “We didn’t start chasing anybody until the end of last April. We didn’t know if we were going to keep our jobs.” With his job secure, Roger has tried to recruit players from across the country. Selling Presque Isle and D-III baseball has been difficult. “There’s still people out there who believe they are D-I athletes. There are a lot of potential D-III baseball players in Maine who decide they don’t want to play. I have three new players from Texas possibly committing next year. It may only be D-III to some, but to me it is as important as any other level,” Roger said.

Baseball involves smart decision-making and players who fill certain needs for a team. Roger is confident, not just in some of his starters, but also his bench. His captains, shortstop Ryan Sanderson, catcher Will Stinson and centerfielder Brad Patterson, are the players who he looks to as leaders. He also praised the team’s bench players for their versatility. “I can give you a list of guys on the bench who could start. Last year I would look at the bench when I needed something, and I didn’t have it. Now I have guys who could start,” Roger said.  Christian also talked about the team’s depth. “This year we’ve got a lot of good incoming transfers and freshman. Coach has done a good job recruiting players for depth; not just to be our star players.”

Playing baseball is fun but being a student athlete takes responsibility. That is a part of the culture that Roger is trying to bring to his players. “Student comes first in the program. Athlete is second. I want them to understand it may not be D-I, but you’re going to act like it’s D-I. I want them to have pride when they are recognized for being on the UMPI Owls baseball team,” Roger said. Christian talked about the players’ responsibilities. “He expects us to do our offseason work. He’s done a lot of different drills that help us. He’s also making us accountable. If you plan on missing a class, you email the professor and forward to him, so he sees it.”

On the diamond this season, Roger and his team are trying to improve on their pride and competitive spirit. “We’re going to get there, as many times as I have to correct them.” He may sound tough, but at the end of the day he wants his players to be recognized. “I want them to be proud of themselves. It’s about them, not me,” Roger said. UMPI starts its season against Greensboro and N.C. Wesleyan in North Carolina. Those schools have won D-III world series and have had players drafted into Major League Baseball. Roger’s goal is for his team to come out competitive and leave it all on the field.

Around Roger’s leadership, the team has a developed the saying, “best day ever.” It was said in morning practice to help the morale of the team. It has become their philosophy. “We’re playing baseball. And when you think about it, knowing what the world is today, it’s not a bad thing to think about.” Do you remember four and 29? To the UMPI baseball team, it’s so last year. Now it is on to the best day ever.