WUPI Radio was licensed July 26th, 1973, broadcasting at 91.1 on the FM dial with 10 watts of power. WUPI switched channels in April 1978 before moving to 90.3FM, and finally went to 92.1FM in 1983, which included an upgrade to 17 watts. In July 2006, the station was moved from its previous location in the basement of Normal Hall to a new home in the center of the Campus Center. In December 2009, the station moved once again to a larger facility in Normal Hall, to combine student media resources for the University. Our antenna is positioned on top of Emerson hall, at the height of 17 feet above the building. After playing a hybrid of Adult contemporary and Top 40 for about ten months in 2010, the switch was made to Contemporary Hit Radio (CHR) on Wednesday, September 15 at 9 a.m., making WUPI the only radio station north of Bangor to have this format. Also on September 15, the station switched to an all-new computerized automation system. Internet streaming of the station became a service provided by WUPI radio station’s programming to be available for access to the whole world in late October 2011. Since the switch to Top 40, WUPI has also added several different shows. WUPI started off with the 70’s Radio Show with Rob Carlson on February 2011 then added to the schedule 5 other decade shows. The station currently is seeking more variety in our format. Hoping to add more diverse music such as shows with jazz, Latin, local and live, metal, r&b, and other musical genres.
The WUPI station is currently owned by the University of Maine at Presque Isle and operated by its student body. The station is located at the classroom building Folsom/Pullen at the UMPI campus, Room 209. The station manager’s quarters are established within the radio station. WUPI is a student organization operated by students and overseen by faculty providing a non-commercial educational radio station for the greater city of Presque Isle.
Our pride is having the only live radio station in the immediate Presque Isle area. Listen to us to and hear the difference!
Why WUPI 92.1?
- The Only Top 10/Variety radio station in a 150-mile radius.
- We cover eight different decades of the HITS at various points during a typical week. We have a 70′s, 80′s, 90′s, and a 2000′s show. Whether you are 15 or 85, WUPI has got the music you know and love!
- Our regular automation library contains over 3,000 songs, but we have well over 5,500 in our digital music library.
- We’re the only station in Northern Maine that has entered the digital 21st century with our provisions of an internet streaming site. We are continually updating our Facebook fan page, and twitter account for our social media outlet. We can be heard on Shout Cast and TuneIn for our capabilities of online streaming so you can listen to WUPI anywhere.
- We are not paid, professionals. The station is 100% student-run. We are in this club to have some fun!
GIVE US A LISTEN!