The Disorder No One Talks About

Griffen Lovely is a lot like other 20-somethings you would know. He enjoys spending time with his family, hanging out with friends and playing sports. On the surface, he appears to be just like anyone else his age. In reality, Griffen has been battling with a condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder for several years. Continue reading “The Disorder No One Talks About”

Spring Fever at Gentile!!

We are getting ready for spring here at Gentile Hall with the Sportsman show on March 22-24.  Come stop by and see canoes, kayaks, bikes, ATVs, fishing supplies, hunting supplies, a real fish pond and much more!

Warmer weather is right around the corner, so if you are going somewhere sunny over spring break, now is the time to start getting into shape with my fitness classes.  Students, all my fitness classes are free!!  Fit Camp is on MWF from 5-5:45 p.m., Circuit Training is on Tuesdays from 12-12:45 p.m. and Fusion Training is on Mondays and Thursdays from 12-12:45 p.m.  For more information about my fitness classes or personal training, you can email me at keli.marston@maine.edu Continue reading “Spring Fever at Gentile!!”

Old Farmer’s Almanac, Snowfall and Floodwaters

Looking down into the flooded basement storage area.

On August 26, 2018, the “Old Farmer’s Almanac” predicted “arctic air, blustery, bitter winds, sharp drops in temperatures, and widespread snow showers and squalls” for winter 2018-19.  “Above-normal snowfall is predicted for the Great Lakes states, Midwest, and central and northern New England.” Northern Maine is doing its part to validate the “Old Farmer’s Almanac’”s predictions this winter. Continue reading “Old Farmer’s Almanac, Snowfall and Floodwaters”

Respect for the Fallen

The four retirees stand proudly around their comrade_s grave. From left to right_ Sgt. William Caron, Cpl. Arnold Gahagan, Trooper Kim Espling and Cpl. Bert Ouellette. Not seen, Troop F leader Brian Harris.

Just like he’s done thousands of times before, Hubert Ouellette laces up his boots.  The state police issued black leather is cracking, showing their wear.  He’s suited up for his job many times, but never for a task like this.

Temperatures circling zero degrees and waist-deep snow could not stop Maine State Police Troop F.  Four retired officers and one active dug out their snowshoes, an extra pair of socks and a few holiday wreaths.  Paying no attention to the cold, the group honored lost officers by visiting their graves for the holidays and leaving the wreaths behind. Continue reading “Respect for the Fallen”

It’s Jupiter! It’s Saturn! It’s a Planet Head?

What do you get when you combine a fundraiser for cancer assistance with paint and shower caps or shaved heads?  You get Planet Head Day, of course!

What is Planet Head Day?  It is an opportunity to help raise funds that are used to assist local cancer patients.  Planet Head Day is one of two annual fundraisers held by the local nonprofit group “Caring Area Neighbors for Cancer Education and Recovery – C.A.N.C.E.R.” Continue reading “It’s Jupiter! It’s Saturn! It’s a Planet Head?”

Waiting for a Place to Call Home

Maria, lounging in her cage and taking in all the love.

Are you a dog or a cat person? Some people like cats. Some people like dogs. Others just love animals. If you love animals who are sweet, affectionate and beautiful, meet Maria. Maria is a 3-year-old tri-tiger who was brought in as a stray in September.

“She’s a really sweet girl,” Betsy Hallett, manager of the Central Aroostook Humane Society, said. Continue reading “Waiting for a Place to Call Home”

Are You Going to U Day?

A day for UMPI to shine, University Day allows students to share what they’ve been working so hard on with an audience. In addition, it allows community members to immerse themselves in what the University of Maine at Presque Isle does every day. Many unique and interesting presentation happen throughout the day that students put lots of effort and time into.  Fellow students and community members are invited to watch. Continue reading “Are You Going to U Day?”

Globetrotting From Greece to the States

From Greece to Maine, Evan Zarkadas is always working hard towards his goals.

At 15 years old, Evan Zarkadas boarded an airplane in Greece. A new chapter in his life had begun. Greece had been the place Evan had called home.

Alongside Evan were his father, mother and brother as they entered an airport in Athens.  Evan pulled nothing more than a large suitcase behind him, which held all his possessions. They were leaving everything in Greece. Anything Evan and his family couldn’t fit had been donated or sold. Continue reading “Globetrotting From Greece to the States”

Don’t Touch My Hair

Frida Kahlo by Jemima Bean, age 10.

Jemima is 10 years old. She points to the computer screen, tapping on a black sweatshirt with bold, white letters. “This is the one I want. It says, ‘Don’t Touch My Hair.’ I get tired of telling people to stop.” Today, Jemima’s hair is braided into long, ombré braids. They fade from black to blonde and look, “Just like Beyoncé’s!” Jemima beams. She says it took her mom 14 hours of braiding to put them in. You can tell she is proud of her mom. Turning back to the screen she checks to make sure her size is in stock. It is. Her grandma gave her $50 for Christmas, and this is the purchase she is most excited to make. Continue reading “Don’t Touch My Hair”