University Stress

College is an exciting transition from high school to college.  But a majority of students may find it difficult to handle the pressures and the demands.  Many factors may lead to students developing stress over the course of their academic careers.  Some of these factors include academic pressure, financial obligations, family and friends, and finding time for self-care.

Stress is a feeling of emotional or physical tension.  It can come from events or thoughts that make you frustrated, angry or nervous.  Stress is a natural reflex that can be positive in some situations, such as getting out of danger or meeting a deadline.  When it is prolonged, however, it can cause symptoms that can cause trouble in your life.

Stress causes many physical and psychological symptoms and often leads to procrastination. Physical symptoms of stress include headaches, muscle tension, chest pain, fatigue, changes in sex drive, upset stomach and issues with sleep.  Psychological symptoms of stress include anxiety, restlessness, lack of motivation/focus, feeling overwhelmed, irritability and sadness/depression. These symptoms sometimes give way to certain behaviors, including overeating/under eating, angry outbursts, drug/alcohol misuse, tobacco use, social withdrawal and getting less physical activity.

In a research study, students reported that stress and stress-related factors are actively affecting their academic performance.  Approximately 32 percent of surveyed students stated that they were suffering academically due to stress.  The percentage of college students who seek counseling has increased by 30 percent from 2010 to 2015.  Out of these students, 45 percent of them report stress as their reason for seeking counseling services.

Activities such as social clubs, special interest groups and sports may lead to friendships and help ease feelings of loneliness in the first few months of college.  A surefire way to manage stress from leaving home to attend college is to go home from time to time.  A healthy diet is a crucial aspect of leaving home and beginning college successfully.  Sleep is also crucial at improving and maintain high performance in an academic setting, plus it naturally helps alleviate symptoms of stress and anxiety.  Try to engage in some sort of exercise that you enjoy on a regular basis.  Physical health can help alleviate mental health struggles that you may be experiencing.  Creating a budget can lower financial stress. The local financial departments on college campuses have the tools and resources to help students who may be struggling with this responsibility.

Some students at UMPI shared their own strategies for relieving stress.  Kelley McNary said, “I personally do something that requires a lot of physical effort, like work out at the gym. It’s even better when there are other people participating in the physical activity, like at my martial arts class. It allows me to feel productive and reduce stress.”

“I tend to listen to music a lot or watch Netflix. Something to take my mind off things for a while,” Erica Slomienski said.

It is important to stay positive as a college student. Whether it’s from moving away from home for the first time, financial issues and/or academic pressures, develop techniques to cope when stress begins to invade to reduce any negative feelings. Keeping a positive outlook increases well-being and lowers feelings such as depression and anxiety.

If you are feeling overwhelmed by feelings of stress, don’t hesitate to seek help from a mental health professional.

On campus, we have counselor Ralph McPherson who is available to help students. He can be reached by phone at (207) 768-9791 or by email at ralph.mcpherson@maine.edu.

Student Support Services can be reached at (207) 768-9732 or mary.barbosa@maine.edu.

Crisis and Counseling Centers Crisis line (local) is also available 24/7 at 1-888-568-1112.

There are also local psychiatric and counseling facilities available in Presque Isle, including the following:

• County Behavioral Medicine (207) 554-2600.
  • The Northern Lighthouse Inc. (207) 540-1522.
  • Central Aroostook Psychiatric Services (207) 764-9700.

Presque Isle Loop Brings Much-Needed Transportation to the City

Don Sawyer assists Dr. J off the Presque Isle Loop.

The city of Presque Isle has a new form of transportation available to its residents. The Presque Isle Loop, an innovative metro-style bus, is now traveling through the city, making it the first fixed bus route in Presque Isle. The Loop has 16 stops through town and is affordable for anyone looking for a ride. The bus, which started on Oct. 15, was formed by the Going Places Network in collaboration between multiple agencies and organizations throughout Aroostook County.

The bus is operated by the Aroostook Regional Transportation System and it seats up to 36 passengers. The bus is also accessible to all who may have a disability. The bus features free Wi-Fi, air conditioning and spacious seats.

The bus will give access to a variety of Presque Isle residents who may need transportation. From college students to the elderly, the bus will give new opportunities to people who did not have it before. Many students at UMPI or NMCC do not have cars or a means of transportation. The Presque Loop is a new resource for them. Older citizens of the city who can not drive on their own will now be able to travel. People who work around town will now be able to use the bus. If people without a car would like to make a trip to Walmart, they can now do that through the bus.

Don Sawyer, a bus driver for the Loop, spoke about its recent success. “On a good day, we get about 25 people,” Sawyer said. “I used to drive buses for the schools. This is a lot better than having 50 screaming kids behind you,” Sawyer laughed. The most popular stop for the Loop is Walmart. He also mentioned that a stop at Walmart gives people more than an hour to shop before the bus comes back, which is plenty of time to get what you need.

The first two weeks of the Presque Isle Loop in October were free to all riders. Since then, ticket prices are $1.75 for one way and $3.50 for a roundtrip. Children under the age of 5 ride the bus for free with a parent or guardian. Discounted fares are available to people ages 18 years and under or 60 years and older. Military Veterans and their spouses with ID will be offered a discount as well as people with mobility disabilities. Passengers will also have the option to purchase a GoPass with unlimited rides. This pass can either consist of a week for $18 or a month for $72.

The start of the Presque Isle Loop begins at UMPI by the Campus Center circle, then heading to the Plaza on Main Street near Big Cheese Pizza. The next stops are at Academy Street, the Presque Isle Nursing Home and Griffin Street. The bus makes several more stops through town including the Aroostook Centre Mall, Walmart, the Micmac Health Center, NMCC and more. On average, the bus stops at each location every 70 minutes.

UMPI professor Jacqui Lowman, a wheelchair user, had no trouble getting on the bus. “I thought it was amazing. I was so impressed. I thought the bus would be nice, but I had no idea that is would be that nice. It was very warm, and it had a great view out the window,” Lowman said. “There are many people who need to go to appointments or need to get to work and they do not have a vehicle. We’ve needed this for a long time. It is very affordable, and I think it is just going to keep building.”

The Presque Isle Loop has been a success since its opening in October and it is bound to continue its growth. This bus allows the city of Presque Isle to become more innovative and helpful to its citizens. It gives its community members a means of transportation in a city that has never had it before. The bus is another example of the steps Presque Isle is taking to improve the lives of its citizens. When people ride the Loop, they are not only helping themselves, but also their city. The Loop gives citizens a safe and convenient ride across town or wherever they may need to go in the future.

Good Times at the Snowy Owl Marketplace

People shop in Gentile Hall during the Snowy Owl Marketplace.

On Sept. 28, the University of Maine at Presque Isle hosted the Snowy Owl Marketplace as part of its Homecoming Weekend. From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Gentile Hall was filled with a variety of vendors and tables. Students and community members packed the gym in order to see what they could get their hands on during that Saturday.

Many university clubs and sport teams participated in the event, hoping to raise money for their program or organizations. The International Students club sold potatoes and noodles. The Bio-Med Club sold cookies. The History Club sold a variety of coffees. The Criminal Justice Club had lots of success by selling Krispy Kreme Donuts. University Times sold fruit cups, drinks and macaroni and cheese. The baseball team ran a concession stand, selling popcorn, candy, hotdogs, drinks and more. The softball team sold baked goods and coffee.

A diverse assortment of vendors from outside of campus also attended. Many arts and crafts tables were out on display. Another booth had soaps, lotions and bath bombs for sale. Many vendors had autumn and Halloween decorations. Jewelry, blankets and even flavored marshmallows were also sold during the marketplace.

Danielle Pelkey and Laurie Boucher, both employees in the UMPI student financial services office, ran a vendor booth at the marketplace. The pair sold customized crafts and gifts. “I think the Snowy Owl Marketplace went really well. There was a lot of participation from local crafters, artisans, vendors and student organizations/clubs. There’s already brainstorming taking place for next year to make it even better. It was nice having it located at Gentile Hall where the weather didn’t affect the set up and more individuals were able to take part in,” Danielle Pelkey said. “We will definitely be participating again in the future. It was a great way to showcase our homemade and customized items for upcoming holidays.”

The year’s Snowy Owl Marketplace was different from the others held in the previous years. In past years, the marketplace was called the block party. The term Snowy Owl Marketplace is now its new and improved name. The past events were also always held outside at the tennis courts. Due to the weather, Homecoming organizers decided to change the location. A Car Show was held outside of Gentile, which brought in some visitors to the event. UMPI’s men’s and women’s soccer teams also competed in games during the time of the marketplace, bringing in more people.

“I had a great time. I really enjoyed coming out with friends and looking at arts and crafts, jewelry, artwork and homemade baked goods vendors had to offer. It also was very affordable, which gave me a lot to choose from. Even with being indoors, it didn’t take away from the whole marketplace feel. Going to the Snowy Owl Marketplace is something I definitely would do again,” UMPI sophomore Savannah Borland said.

This year’s Snowy Owl Marketplace brought hundreds of UMPI students, staff and community members together for a special day that will be looked forward to during next year’s Homecoming weekend.

An Instant Classic

This year’s Homecoming was a success thanks to community members, alumni and students too.  The car show was no exception.  Participants brought classic rides from as far south as Patten, with vehicles dating back to the 1930s.  From original owners to grandpa’s ride, all owners took great pride in their rides.

Cordell Smith brought his 1967 Chevrolet Impala SS, popularized by the television series, “Supernatural.”  This Impala never made the big screen, but its story is just as interesting.

“My grandfather had a bunch of old cars.  Before he died a couple years ago, he made sure to give this one to me,” Cordell said. “At least, when I turn 25 technically.  For now, it’s at my grandma’s house and I can work on it when I visit.”  Cordell is only 15 years old but did admit, “She lets me drive it in the yard if I mow her lawn.”

Joe Grant and his wife drove their 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II all the way from Patten to be in the car show.  Joe feels that the beauty of old cars won’t be matched ever again.  That’s why he brought his Plymouth to car shows all summer long.  Even the rain couldn’t stop the Grants.  Joe joked about the free cleaning.  “It’s been babied since I’ve owned it.  The wife and I very seldom take it out in the rain.  But hey, you gotta wash ‘em sometime, right?”

Mike Marshall drove his 1954 GMC work truck to the Homecoming celebration.  This was his truck’s first ever appearance at a car show.  The rare, five-window truck has survived a lifetime of work and Mike still uses it regularly.  “I probably use it like a truck more than a toy,” he said about the old GMC. “But that’s nothing compared to what they used it for originally.  I got it from a paper mill in Portland.  Guys would stand on the hood in a warehouse and as they went down the rows, they’d work off it.  I had to put a whole new hood on it because the old one was all shoved in,” Mike said.

Every car has a story, the same as people.  The survivors, like the old work truck or grandfather’s hotrod, are the stories worth sharing.  This is why it’s so important for these car shows to continue: to trade stories and history.  Each dent, scratch or rust bubble tells its own tale.  Homecoming is much like an alumni car show.  The “collectors” group and share history, stories and tricks of the trade.  Only, they leak a lot less.

Aroostook County Brew and Wine Festival: A Hope for the Future

The logo of the festival.

On Saturday, Oct. 5, beer and wine lovers from all over Aroostook County and beyond gathered at the Aroostook County Brew and Wine Festival at the Aroostook Shrine Club on Houlton Road for a beautiful afternoon full of delicious local beer, wine and food.

The festival was established in 2015 by the Central Aroostook Chamber of Commerce with the purpose of showcasing the growing craft beer and wine industry in Maine.

Destiny Wetherell, an UMPI student, shared her festival experience.

“The atmosphere was really great and the different types of beer and wine were fantastic. It was great seeing that many local beer and wine vendors here in the County and I am very glad I got to try and support our local crafts.”

The brewfest was the event of the month, attracting a lot of people from all over the county, including some of our local politicians, entrepreneurs and local community leaders. The lines to enter the event extended beyond the gate all the way to the parking lot.  People floated around, trying all the different beer varieties in the tent, trying some of the gigantic hot dogs and barbecue that was available and overall enjoying the clear and sunny Aroostook sky.

Tiffany Smith, another UMPI student who attended the festival, said:

“It was a really nice community event that brought a lot of people together. It was a very happy environment with a lot of friendly faces.”

Events like these are a clear indication of a growing industry here in Maine.  With the support from our communities we can all elevate and encourage these businesses and support the local faces behind all the hard work and the products that we see. The deeper message behind the brewfest–beyond the love for beer–is community support of our local brewing and wine-making industries. The growing development of this festival is a great indication for a very hopeful future supporting local industries and local products. Andbrew and Wine  at the same time for us consumers, it is a great sign of more delicious products available for us here in the County.

LDLS Speaker Captures His Audience at First Lecture of 2019-2020 Academic Year

Dr. Van Alst Jr. giving his lecture entitled Matters of Place.

On Sept. 26, 2019, the University of Maine at Presque Isle welcomed LDLS speaker Dr. Theodore C. Van Alst, Jr. After a brief but heartwarming welcome from President Rice, Alst took the stage. Delivering a talk entitled “Matters of Place,” Alst captured his audience’s attention with humor and his apparent passion for writing.

Alst graduated from UMPI in 2004 with a bachelors in behavioral science.  He shared how he found his way to UMPI. “I’m from away,” he said. “But both of my kids were born here. They were both born at TAMC.  It was pretty cool.” After his children were born, Alst was working for a local mill when he decided to begin classes at UMPI. “I found a cool program and they sent me to UMPI and paid for my first semester,” Alst said. “They were like ‘you have to get new clothes, though.  You can’t dress like that.” He went on to share a story of how he received a voucher to go buy new clothes and wound up buying more of the same clothes he had before.

Reminiscing about his days at UMPI and the classes he took with then Dr. Rice, Alst shared how he found his interest in writing. “Editing is actually a joy,” he joked. “The next tattoos I get are going to be the proofreader symbols.” Giving further advice on the importance of editing, Alst touched upon writing for an audience. “You have to tell them everything that you want them to know,” he said. “You’re not there reading along, pointing out this mistake or that one. You know, like when you’re trying to impress your significant other by playing guitar and you go ‘Oh wait, oh wait, oh wait’? You can’t do that.”

Kylee Mejia, a first-year student at UMPI, found her first LDLS to be more interesting than she thought it would be. “I wasn’t sure if I would find interest in the lecture,” Mejia said. “But then when Dr. Alst began cracking jokes, I got more into it. He made listening to him talk enjoyable, like I wasn’t at a distinguished lecture.” Mejia shared that her experience attending the lecture made her interested to attend more in the future.

To conclude, Alst shared three readings from his latest novel “Sacred Smokes.” His truly inspiring but deeply emotional stories really captured the attention of his audience at UMPI. If you are interested in reading about him further or purchasing his work, Alst’s latest novel can be found for sale on Amazon,  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0826359906/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0.

October Is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!

Show your support of breast cancer awareness this month.  Don’t forget to

wear Pink during the month of October.

Students, always remember that my fitness classes are FREE!  Fit Camp is Monday,

Wednesday and Friday from 5-5:45 p.m.  Tuesdays I have Total Body Circuit Training from

12-12:45 p.m.  Fusion Training is on Mondays and Thursdays from 12-12:45 p.m. in the

Campus Center, room 112.

Intramurals are a great way to stay active and meet new people.  Basketball will be going

on for the fall semester on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6-10 p.m.  Soccer will start

during the month of November.  If any students are interested in playing intramurals, you can

contact Jonathon Bowman for more details at jonathon.bowman@maine.edu.

This is the best time of year to enjoy hiking with all of the wonderful colors.  Get outside

and enjoy hiking Haystack Mountain in Mapleton, Aroostook State Park in Presque Isle with

some excellent trails and Big Rock Mountain in Mars Hill.  Come see us for tents, sleeping

bags and backpacks for an overnight hiking trip.  We also have canoes and kayaks to rent!

Fall is the best time for fresh apples and pumpkins!  Check out our local school farm

on State Street in Presque Isle.  They have a variety of delicious apples to choose from, fresh

apple cider, wonderful vegetables, sweet homemade jams and pumpkins.

Diet and exercise are so important to keep our bodies healthy and strong.  Here is a

healthy applesauce recipe that you and your kids will love!

Fresh School Farm Apples of your choice:

5-6 cups of Apples cut, peeled and sliced into a pot.

½ cup to 1 cup of water

Bring apples to a boil and cook until apples are soft and mushy.

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Optional if you like cinnamon.

1 teaspoon of sugar

Optional if you like it sweeter (most apples are sweet enough that you won’t need the sugar).

Let it cool and refrigerate.  So good!

You can make a double or triple batch and store in containers and freeze them.

UMPI Welcomes Growth With a State-of-the-Art Greenhouse

Those involved in the production of the Zillman Family Greenhouse cut the ribbon at the dedication of the facility.

UMPI kicked off Friday’s homecoming festivities with the dedication ceremony of the Zillman Family Greenhouse. Back in March 2018, UMPI revealed a new bachelor’s degree program for Agricultural Science and Agribusiness. At the same time, UMPI also announced the launch of a fundraising campaign to create a greenhouse that would aid in the success of the program. At this time, the Zillman Family Greenhouse was announced.

The weather was in cooperation with the ceremony, with blue skies and warm temperatures. This helped draw in a crowd of faculty, staff, students, community members and those involved in the production of the greenhouse.

Matt Payan, UMPI junior environmental science major, is in a plant biology class this semester. “The greenhouse will give students a place to enhance the hands-on skills that modern-day employers are looking for,” Payan said.

UMPI senior Evan Zarkadas is proud of the direction UMPI is going. “I decided to attend the greenhouse ceremony because seeing our school develop and expend so much is something I’m very proud of. I wanted to make sure I was there for that very special moment in UMPI history and support the people that spent so many hours and years working on this,” Zarkadas said.

The 2,400-square-foot greenhouse is a state-of-the-art facility. It’s the only smart greenhouse in Maine. The greenhouse includes technologies such as LED lighting, intelligent watering, a ventilation system and an advanced climate control system. This will help support a number of different research projects, such as disease management and soil fertility. The greenhouse will allow for year-around research.

“It will help UMPI by bringing more students to our institution through the sciences and agribusiness program. Also, since it is one of the best in probably New England, it brings UMPI to the forefront of technology and progress,” Zarkadas said.

“This greenhouse will further set UMPI on its path to innovate and give students the best possible opportunities for success,” Payan said.

The greenhouse wouldn’t have been a success without the help and support of many people, including the Zillman family, who helped make this a possibility.

Astronomy Aroostook County

Hello and welcome back to a new year of classes and adventures at the University of Maine at Presque Isle. Northern Maine is a great place to live and, if you like astronomy, it is a great place to be.  Northern Maine has rich dark skies full of stars and celestial events.

The University Times runs this ongoing series of articles about astronomy throughout the year.  The topics vary from edition to edition and will contain news related to astronomy and information about various sky events.  Although I have some articles in mind, I would like your input on possible articles.  If you have any questions or would like to suggest an article, please feel free to email me at jimamdbeckystepp@gmail.com.

Here are a couple of places you can go to find more information about astronomy in Aroostook County.

The Aroostook County Astronomy Club provides educational opportunities and occasional observing nights throughout the year.  Joining the local astronomy club is easy: just join their Facebook group “Aroostook County Astronomy Club.”  By joining this page, you will be able to receive interesting articles about astronomy, be notified of upcoming club events, receive information about celestial events and receive notifications about possible northern lights.

The Maine Solar System Model was dedicated in 2003.  At that time, it was the largest to scale solar system model on Earth.  Now it is the second largest.  One mile is equal to 93,000,000 miles in this 40+ miles model.  At this scale, the Earth is located near Percy’s Auto Sales one mile south of UMPI’s campus on Route 1.  For more information about the Maine Solar System Model, go to http://pages.umpi.edu/nmms/solar/.

The Francis Malcolm Science Center, located in Easton, Maine, has a planetarium and hosts occasional planetarium shows and observing nights. The science center is a great place to visit and, when possible, their shows will be listed here and on the astronomy club’s Facebook page.  For more information about the science center go to https://www.francismalcolmsciencecenter.com/.

Happy stargazing.

THE NIGHT SKY OVER AROOSTOOK COUNTY

All of the times and events listed below are from www.calsky.com.  You may register at this site and load your location (anywhere in the world) to be able to get event information and times.  The University of Maine at Presque Isle is located at 68d00m7.8s west longitude and 46d40m45.6s north latitude.

The International Space Station is visible as follows:

Morning – Until Sept. 16.

Evening – Sept. 18 to Oct. 12.

Morning – Oct. 23 to Nov. 12 .

To get a free sky chart, go to www.skymaps.com.

Sun and Planet Visibility

09/20/2019

06:15 Sunrise .

18:34 Sunset

18:48 – 19:00 Mercury.

18:36 – 18:54 Venus.

Not visible Mars.

18:42 – 21:54 Jupiter.

19:00 – 23:48 Saturn.

10/10/2019

06:42 Sunrise.

17:54 Sunset.

18:24 – 18:30 Mercury.

17:54 – 18:24 Venus.

05:36 – 06:12 Mars.

18:06 – 20:42 Jupiter.

18:24 – 22:30 Saturn .

09/12 @ 05:00 ISS passes 1.2 degrees from Alnilam (Epsilon Orion).

09/13 @ 04:11 ISS passes 0.5 degrees from Elmath/Al Nath (Beta Taurus).

09/13 @ 09:01 Mercury 0.3 degrees from Venus.

09/13 @ 09:16 Moon at apogee – farthest from the Earth (252,514.6 miles/406,382.8 km).

09/14 @ 00:32 Full moon.

09/21 @ 22:40 Last quarter moon.

09/23 @ 03:50 September Equinox – Fall begins in the northern hemisphere.

09:24 @ 19:58 ISS passes Arcturus (Alpha Bootes).

09/26 @ 06:00 Equilux – Equal day and night in Presque Isle, ME.
09/27 @ 22:17 Moon at perigee – closest to the Earth (222,324.0 miles/357,795.8 km).

09/28 @ 05:42 Comet 13P Olbers at perihelion – closest to the sun = Mag 7.2.

09/28 @ 14:26 New moon.

10/03 @ 02:12 Mercury at aphelion – farthest from the sun (43,382,500 miles/69,817.300 km).
10/05 @ 12:47 First quarter moon.

10/06 @ 19:00 Draconid Meteor Shower – 6 meteors/hr.

10/07 @ 19:00 Draconid Meteor Shower – 8.8 meteors/hr.

10/07 @ 21:08 Winter begins on Mars’ northern hemisphere.

10/08 @ 19:00 Draconid Meteor Shower – 11 meteors/hr.

10/09 @ 02:00 Draconid Meteor Shower Maximum – 12.4 meteors/hr.

10/09 @ 19:00 Draconid Meteor Shower – 10.4 meteors/hr.

10/10 @ 14:18 Moon at apogee – farthest from the Earth – (252,228.4 miles/405,922.2 km).

10/10 @ 19:00 Draconid Meteor Shower – 7.8 meteors/hr.

10/11 @ 19:00 Draconid Meteor Shower – 5.3 meteors/hr.

10/13 @ 17:07 Full moon.

10/20 @ 00:00 Mercury greatest elongation = 24.6 degrees east – visible in the evening sky.

10/20 @ 05:00 Orionid meteor shower – 6.3 meteors/hr.

10/21 @ 05:00 Orionid meteor shower – 8.8 meteors/hr.

10/21 @ 08:39 Last quarter moon.

10/22 @ 05:00 Orionid meteor shower – 10.5 meteors/hr.

10/22 @ 10:00 Orionid meteor shower – 10.6 meteors/hr.

10/23 @ 05:00 Orionid meteor shower – 9.8 meteors/hr.

10/24 @ 05:00 Orionid meteor shower – 7.4 meteors/hr.

10/25 @ 05:00 Orionid meteor shower – 5.2 meteors/hr.

10/25 @ 06:03 ISS passes 0.9 degrees from the moon.

10/25 @ 08:06 Mercury at half phase.

10/26 @ 06:31 Moon at perigee – closest to the Earth (224,498.9 miles/361,295.9 km).
10/27 @ 06:01 ISS passes 0.4 degrees from Betelgeuse (Alpha Orion).

10/27 @ 23:38 New moon.

10/28 @ 04:02 Uranus at opposition – directly behind the Earth.

10/31 Mercury 2.5 degrees from Venus.

Gentile Hall’s Wellness Programs!

Welcome back to campus everyone.  I hope you all had a wonderful and relaxing summer vacation.  We are very excited for the 2019-2020 school year to get started!  We have so much to offer here at Gentile Hall, so come stop by and take advantage of this beautiful facility.

We have an elevated indoor track, basketball courts, a 25 yard swimming pool, a 37-foot rock climbing wall and bouldering wall and a wonderful fitness center equipped with strength machines, free weights and cardio equipment.  If you need help with anything, I will be more than happy to show you how to use the equipment.

I will be hosting a variety of events during my Wellness Week from Sept. 23-26. All events and fitness classes will be free to all.  Sept. 23 I will kick the week off with coffee, treats and orientations to all the fitness equipment from 8:30-10:30 a.m.  Then I will have Fusion training from 12-12:45 p.m. in Gentile Hall.  The last event that day will be Fit Camp from 5-5:45 p.m.

Sept. 24, Nancy Roble from Cary Medical Center will be doing blood pressure screenings from 9-10:30 a.m. in Gentile Hall.  So if employees need some insurance incentives, this would be a good event to come to.  Then I will have Circuit Training from 12-12:45 p.m.

Sept. 25, I will have coffee, treats, healthy recipes and protein supplements from Bike Board and Ski.  Stop by and check out all they have to offer.  Then the last event that day will be Fit Camp from 5-5:45 p.m.

Sept. 26, I will finish off my Wellness Week with Fusion training from 12-12:45 p.m. in Gentile Hall.

I offer a variety of fitness classes to accommodate different levels of fitness that are free to all students.  Fit Camp is on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays from 5-5:45 p.m. This is a high-intensity boot-camp-style class.  Total Body Circuit Training is on Tuesdays from 12-12:45 p.m.  In this class I focus on core training and strength training for the lower body and upper body.  Fusion training is a combination of yoga, pilates and barre.  This class is from 12-12:45 p.m. in the Campus Center room 112 on Mondays and Thursdays.

We have a variety of intramural sports that will keep everyone busy.  Last year Jonathon Bowman did futsol, pickle ball, water polo and much more.  Check our website for details at umpi.edu/gentile-hall or email Jonathon Bowman at jonathon.bowman@maine.edu.

Faculty, staff, students and community members, do not forget that Gentile Hall has canoe and tent rentals through the Outing Club.  If students are interested in being a part of the Outing Club, stop by our front desk for more information.

Students, make sure you get your student I.D. validated at the business office.  For all other questions, concerns and hours of operation, you can contact Keli Marston at 768-1202 or email at keli.marston@maine.edu.  Or check out our website at umpi.edu/gentile-hall.

Just a little food for thought: let’s not forget about our wonderful Farmer’s Market in the area.  This is the best time of year to get fresh, home-grown vegetables in the county!  They also have a variety of soaps, lotions, crafts, baked goods, eggs and much more to choose from.

The Farmers Market is on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Riverside Pavilion.  The great news is that it’s within walking distance for our students, faculty and staff.